Improving on a ClassicThe objective behind the HVA-4K was simple: take a classic stereo bus compressor design and improve upon it.
Hand built in Australia, The HVA-4K is the next generation of our VCA Stereo Bus Compressor. It is the culmination of 12 months of work in redesigning, rebuilding and optimising this classic circuit from the ground up. We took the best parts of our 4000 G-Series compressor and optimised these with performance and an enhanced feature set at the heart of the HVA-4K design.
We listened to engineer’s feedback and we implemented the most requested features in this design. The VCA based compression is renowned for its sonic "glue", providing transparent punch and cohesion to a mix without sacrificing clarity.
New Key Features and Enhancements
- BLEND Control: the blend control makes it quick and easy to apply parallel compression by adjusting the blend of dry and wet (compressed signal). This negates the need for any complex DAW based routing.
- Extended RATIO Controls: We've expanded upon the typical 3 ratios to 6, including the most frequently requested 1.5:1 ratio.
- IMPROVED Signal-to-Noise Ratio (SNR): the circuit redesign and optimisation means a noise floor of -105dB or better.
- FACELIFT: the feedback from engineers was that they preferred the aesthetics of our EQ6S equalizer. We ditched the collet knobs and enlarged the front panel scales giving the HVA-4k a similar appearance to its sibling.
- TRUE BYPASS: the bypass circuit was redesigned to provide a relay based bypass mechanism. This means the unit passes audio whilst powered off, and the bypass function skips the entire audio path.
- User SWITCHABLE Mains Voltage: rather than a hardwired mains voltage, the HVA-4K is user switchable between 115V/230V.
$1190.00 (AUD)Buy Now
HVA-4K Blend Control Demo VideoThis video showcases the power of the HVA-4K "BLEND" control.
All samples are level matched and are provided in WAV format for highest resolution.
The individual instrument/bus compression examples are taken from raw multi-track sessions, without any pre or post processing.
The Mix Bus compression examples are final mixes without any master bus processing.
Can't play the samples in your browser? Download the entire sample pack here.
1. Mix Bus Compression - Low vs High Compression Ratios
Ratio - 2:1, 4db Gain Reduction, Attack: 3mS, Highpass Sidechain: Off
Ratio - 10:1, 4db Gain Reduction, Attack: 3mS, Highpass Sidechain: Off
Ratio - 10:1, 8db Gain Reduction, Attack: 10mS, Highpass Sidechain: 130Hz
2. Drum Bus Compression
Ratio - 4:1, 4dB Gain Reduction, 0.1mS Attack, Highpass Sidechain: Off
Ratio - 4:1, 4dB Gain Reduction, 0.1mS Attack, Auto Release, Highpass Sidechain: 130Hz
3. Drum Bus - Parallel Compression
Ratio - 2:1, 0.1mS Attack, 0.1s Release, Highpass Sidechain: 130Hz
4. Acoustic Guitar Compression
Ratio - 10:1, 3dB Gain Reduction, 10mS Attack, Auto Release, High Pass Sidechain: 90hz
5. Mix Bus - Comparison of Slow vs Fast Attack Times
4dB Gain Reduction, Fast Attack - 0.1mS, High Pass Sidechain: Off
8dB Gain Reduction, Fast Attack - 0.1mS, Highpass Sidechain: 130Hz
8dB Gain Reduction, Fast Attack - 0.1mS, High Pass Sidechain: Off
4dB Gain Reduction, Slow Attack - 30mS, High Pass Sidechain: Off
8dB Gain Reduction, Slow Attack - 30mS, Highpass Sidechain: 130Hz
8dB Gain Reduction, Slow Attack - 30mS, High Pass Sidechain: Off
6. Pop Mix Bus Compression (subtle)
Ratio - 4:1, 3dB Gain Reduction, 3mS Attack, Highpass Sidechain: 130Hz